Friday, March 21, 2014

Two in One.

Today is two in one. Two sets of psalm readings in one day. Thursday's four psalms were 52 through 55. Today, Friday, the psalms are 56 through 59. As I read all eight psalms this morning, I was sitting the the waiting room of my mechanics shop. As the oil in my car was being changed, I read psalms with the background music of a rock radio station. Plaintive words are plaintive words regardless if the beat is a deep bass or the chant of the congregation. I wondered, did those worshiping with a new psalm text experience the song in the same way we experience a new rock tune. Was a new psalm of 2000 BC as edgy and enticing as a rising rock hit today? Was a new psalm as suspect as a new hymn today? Did the congregation of the Jerusalem temple cry out, "What happened to our favorite psalms?" just as congregations cry out today, "What happened to our favorite hymns?" That which we venerate through the ties to our ancestors of faith was new at some point. That which is new today will be venerated in the future. Can we find ways to live faith as both old and new? Two in One.

1 comment:

  1. Psalm 55 was particularly poignant for me, but I doubt that you even gave it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete