Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday, Beginning our Journey with the Psalms

As an introduction to the Psalms, my Bible states, "Psalms is a book of praise and prayer." The psalms are songs, poetry, that capture every human emotion. The psalms sets our lives, our humanity, into the world of God's being as God's Life shines into every crevice and onto every mountain. The psalms connect our lives with God through the generations of faith where we find we are all bound into the love of God. Inspired by a lay leader at St. John's who is reading the Psalms through Lent, I am joining her. I invite you to join us. For myself, I plotted a map of four psalms a day. Use this map as your guide or develop your own map. The Psalms can be found in many forms and translations. My friend Beth is reading them online from the St. Alban's Psalter with commentary and calligraphy. I am reading them from my print Bible, The Life with God Bible, with textual comments and spiritual guidance. If you choose a Bible, then choose an Revised Standard Version (RSV) or a New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). A classic and beautiful translation of the Psalms is found in the Book of Common Prayer. Also available in many forms, including electronically, are The Book of Psalms commentaries from the latest scholarly works to one from probably the most popular Christian writer, C. S. Lewis. Go deeper by reading the psalms and then reading about them from others who reflect and study them. Comment on this blog your insights, thoughts, questions. The Psalms will swirl deep into your spirit and bring forth God's Spirit in you. Join me. Join this community of praise and prayer for Lent. Read today Psalms 1 through 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment