Monday, March 10, 2014

"…the meditations of my heart."

On our Journey through Lent with the Psalms, today read Psalms 17 through 20. The conclusion of Psalm 19 is the prayer I use before preaching a sermon. For me it is both the words of my study and reason and my listening to the movement of the Spirit within me that shapes the message I am about to share with the congregation. This concluding verse of the psalm that I have adopted as a prayer culminates three parts of Psalm 19. The first part is about all of creation praising the creator God. The second is about the gift of guidance found in the words of the Law. The third is about our need, my need, for forgiveness. God gives both creation and the law, and, I will still wander away. Yet the meditations of my heart will lead me back. My Bible notes that mediations can also be translated whisperings or murmuring. What is your heart whispering to you today on this Lenten journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment