Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Daily Devotion - God's intense interest in us

Ars Poetica #100: I Believe by Elizabeth Alexander

Poetry, I tell my students,
is idiosyncratic. Poetry

is where we address ourselves,
(though Sterling Brown said

"Every 'I' is a dramatic 'I'")
digging in the clam flats

for the shell that snaps,
emptying proverbial pocketbooks.

Poetry is what you find
in the dirt in the corner,

overhear on the bus, God
in the details, the only way

to get from here to there.
Poetry (and now my voice is rising)

is not all love, love, love,
and I'm sorry the dog died.

Poetry (here I hear myself loudest)
is the human voice,

and are we not of interest to each other?



Most of our days are spent wondering about ourselves, wondering and talking about others, loving judging, sharing, withholding, compromising, insisting, breathing deeply, and, exploding.  We are of intense interest to ourselves and to one another.

How much more are we of intense interest to God. Reflect today on God's interest in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment