Friday, August 3, 2012

August 3

Significant life events are always followed by the day after the significant life event.  Yesterday, after months of careful preparation and planning, my daughter left for her junior semester abroad in China.  She'll be gone five months.  As I stood with her at the entrance of the airport security line, she thanked me for my support.  I told her parenting was equal parts supporting and worrying.  I am excited for her and supporting her adventure as well as always concerned about her.

So, today is the day after the significant start of this life adventure.  There is an emptying feeling, no more planning, check lists, tasks and counting down the days.  There is a void of her busy and steady presence of preparation.  There is a question of "now what?"  After looking forward to the start of this trip for so long, it remains for her to take it and for me to wait.

The day after, August 3, is not  just another day in the calendar.  Life for daughter and mother is changed.  It is ours to live into as a

3 comments:

  1. Waiting is an art of love. Blessings for daughter and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skype is a really really good thing! Use it if you can:)
    If it's any comfort, our youngest is leaving in a couple of weeks to live in another state and attend law school. The nest will be well and truly empty. I feel your pain - and your excitement, too, at this next great stage of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it!! My two sons live on the West Coast... I've heard it said, that parents should become become progressively obsolete..Then you know you've done a good job......
    To that little gem, I may add, Yes, but.....................

    Ceil

    ReplyDelete