Friday, April 27, 2012

Week of Reflection

After a week of reflection, why do you attend St. John's and why Jesus Christ?  Could you answer these questions if asked?   A Living Lord shapes our lives so that we can live as people fully alive in God.  A Living Lord shapes our lives so that we serve one another.  Its a both/and.  Jesus Christ about more than our personal spiritual growth and more than helping others.  Why Jesus?  Because when we are changed from the inside and serve the needs of the world through a life in Christ, then the Living Lord is alive for all.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean again: I meant to write in second line: "the times I HAVE FELT like staying in bed..." oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is it, with the correction:

    At worship, I want to hear from God. That is the main thing for me, and on rare times when I have felt like staying in bed I have been thankful I did not..and went to worship. . There was something there that God gave to me, that day. I hope this happens for many people. I always feel thankful to be there, to hear, listen, take part and let God soak into me something fresh, or a reminder, or an eye-opening awareness.

    This happens at St. John's when the Word is read at every service and then honored and repeated in other ways, including through music and singing and prayers.

    That is my mid-short answer.

    The longer answer is that St. John's offers so much for life, including knowing that the school is nearby and integral in a way, influencing the young in different ways through school and church life. I enjoy learning more about the Episcopal tradition and current outreach of St. John's; our family has received much care at the personal level as we helped a loved one at home and then went through the grieving time.

    Those are a few things that we saw or suspected, and often discussed together, after our first visit to St. John's, and they are part of why we returned again and again until we realized it was our new church home.

    ReplyDelete