Monday, August 22, 2011

Sabbath Surprise

Immediately after writing yesterday's Sabbath reflections, my husband suggested we go for a sail in our 12 foot day sailer, Soul Asset. A morning sail is a little unusual but he said, "The winds are good." Anticipating ways to know, feel, and taste God's presence in my sabbath discipline, I grabbed my sunscreen.

The winds were good, very good and very strong. The boat mightily plowed through the waves. Warm bay water sloshed into our faces. If you have not had the experience of sailing, then the ride is at the same time like a carousel and an airplane in turbulence. Rolling up and down as well as bumpy and trembling. Both fun and scary. With each gust, the boat heeled (leaned way over). The wind whistled and the sails groaned.

God as a boat plowing through the waves? The boat and the sea are companions on the journey. The sea rolls and the boat floats. God is both powerful and buoyant.

Tasting God as salty bay water? God is in the salt and the water that nurtures the leviathan and the tiny hermit crab.

God as fun and scary? I was pushed to the edge of my comfort zone and then over the edge. I could not look forward into the wind and waves so I looked backward at the shoreline. Keeping in view a familiar landmark, I rolled with each new unexpected wave. I trusted the power of the wind and water as well as the buoyancy of the boat. I let go of everything that my mind was telling me and fully embraced the moment. I placed myself in the vastness of the water, the sky, and the wind knowing that creation is more wild, more fun, more vast, and more exciting than I can fathom. Sabbath surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment