Thursday, June 13, 2013

Caffe Decaffeinato

Foods are full, simple, and as they are intended to be in Tuscan cooking. Measuring means less and taste means more. That is why I've come to the conclusion that Italians really don't know the meaning of Decaffeinato. I came to that conclusion about 3 am last night. Lunch had concluded with a lovely, what I thought was a decaffinated expresso. Clearly not true at 3 am. After all, coffee was never meant to be striped of its pizzazz. Consider if in our life with God measuring meant less and taste meant more. Savor the rising and falling of emotion in a hymn, allow the time of prayer to take us where God wants to go, skip our to-do list for God and enter instead into a sweetness of simple rest. Don't accept a watered-down or altered version of someone's experience of faith but find the pizazz of our own. Wouldn't that be as God intended in our relationship?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, particularly where you say not to accept an "altered version" of someone else's experience of faith. I have only been attending St. John's for about 3 months and it has caused some friction between me and my husband. He was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, and was excommunicated at 17. While he still believes in God, that experience has tainted his view of organized religion. He also watched religion tear his parents apart [his dad was JW and his mom remained Lutheran].

    Intellectually, he knows not to paint all religions with the same broad brush of his JW experience, but emotionally, the damage is done. So we had a big argument when I started attending St. Johns. Lately, he's started to soften since he sees that my regularly attending church means something to me. Also, he sees I am not forcing him and our kids to go [although I invite 'em every week]. And I've told him that I find the services rejuvenating.

    I think he is slowing seeing that a relationship with God does not mean tearing apart his family.

    ReplyDelete