Friday, May 24, 2013

Voices

I speak in many voices.  Not the sound of my words but the experience and roles of my  life: spouse, mother, priest, administrator, friend, advisor, mentor, supervisor, colleague.  While the context directs  which voice I use, none of the voices are distinct.  Sometimes to be a thoughtful administrator the mother layer is in my voice.  Sometimes to be a mother the administrator voice organizes home life.

Yet, there is one voice that is in every layer, the Christian voice.  On this sabbatical, I am reflecting on my heart core.  That which gives me life.  That which is my inner scaffolding, central support, architecture of my beliefs. Naming my roots in Christ, literally, continues to be very supportive.

So, when I came across the following, paraphrased from the Collegeville Institute web page, developing my Christian voice became that much more important. "It is not enough to preach.  It is not enough to teach.  It is not enough to update the church's Facebook page.  We must learn to write and speak theology accessible for everyone". Write and speak theology for everyone are at my core.  It is what this blog is about as well as the many other voices of my life.  What are the practical, everyday dimensions of a Christian voice?  How is it heard?  Where? Am I speaking out loud or whispering in my own head? What inspires others to speak in their own Christian voice?

What inspires me is to know and feel that my Christian voice makes two profound differences.  First that everyday I choose life with God and I am grateful.  Second, that I make a difference in the lives of others everyday. I am not measuring the difference.  The size, impact, is less important than the difference Christ in me makes. In that way I am developing my voice and speaking to connect with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment