Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spiritually growing

"Though the human body is born complete in one moment, the birth of the human heart is an ongoing process."  John O'Donohue.

This morning, I took care of my body.  I exercised my heart with cardio, stretched my muscles, and pushing those weakest connectors in my upper body so that the fibers would get stronger.   Now the food I have eaten and the rest from this exercise will also work to care for my body.

Daily life does the same for our spirit, our human heart.  Without the ways we are stretched, strengthened, and pushed, our hearts, our inner being will not grow.  Without the resting in God through prayer as well as the nourishment of scripture, community, and reflection, our spirits will accumulate spiritual fat.

Reflect on the growing times of your heart. What did you need to grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment