Friday, October 29, 2010

Conversation

Last Saturday I experienced a personal triumph: I set up an iGoogle Page. Now, most people I am sure can do it in the 30 seconds described on the iGoogle home page. It took me an hour, but, it still was a triumph because the buttons, toggles, choices, and pictures to set up the page that were far from intuitive for me are now more familiar. I was determined to improve my skill with electronic media rather than give up in frustration.

A significiant part of the conversation about faith, belief, theology, ethics, the church in the public square, and personal devotion is moving to the electronic media. In the past week The Congregational Resource Guide, one of the most comprehensive sites for spirituality, leadership, and the life of congregations, launched a newly designed website with articles that change daily. The turn around time for our reflections, conversations with ourselves and others, posts in blogs is more likely one day than one week. It is a challenge but I am one of several contributors to these posts.

Those reading the latest every day will likely experience a breadth and depth of the church that was the previously was only present in professional church and clergy conversations. Expanding this conversation will strengthen all believers and strengthen the church.

I am glad that a significant part of the conversation also remains right where it should be: in our prayers to God, in face to face conversations after worship, and with those with whom we take the adventure of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment